Certified Agile Leadership (CAL)
Certified Agile Leadership (CAL) course
The Scrum Alliance Certified Agile Leadership (CAL) program helps leaders build understanding of Agile, how to support and lead Agile transformation, and how to use Agile as a vehicle to support organizations’ business ambition. The program is two-part education and practice based, to develop agile leadership competence and maturity. Start with out Certified Agile Leadership program which includes CAL-Essential, CAL-Team and CAL-Organization, and advance to CAL-II to deepen, apply, and share your agile leadership learning.
The training will be held in English by the internationally renowned Scrum trainer Evelyn Tian
P.S. If you buy from outside Estonia, VAT is not applicable. The correct price is shown on the last step of checkout.
Training dates: 13, 14, 20 and 21 November
What Does it Mean to Be an Agile Leader?
- Agile leadership is not about scrum or kanban. It's not about processes or work practices. It's about how you see the world and relate to the people around you. An agile leader is somebody who has taken his or her ego out of the way of working with others — somebody who enables and exemplifies great collaboration.
Who Can Be an Agile Leader?
- Anyone can be a leader in any role, no matter what part of the organizational system they’re in. An agile leader is someone who lives by and follows an agile mindset to create a ripple effect through our organization.
- Leadership is the reflection of how an individual shows up. It's not a function of role; any team member can be a leader in any role. Being a leader means people choose to follow you because they admire or are inspired by who you are as a person. It’s about how you show up, behave, lead your life, and treat others.
- Sometimes being a leader means proposing an idea. At other times, it is following other people's ideas and supporting them. Sometimes being a leader means posing a question and then stepping back to let others’ brilliance shine.
- Evolution of Everything
- Management trends and fitting business environment
- Journey of Lean and Agile
- Evolution of organizations
- Complex Adaptive System (C.A.S.)
- Apply Systems Thinking to organizations
- Excel in VUCA environment with Cynefin framework
- Leading from the future as it emerges
- Leadership Agility
- Essence of Leadership Agility
- Types of Leadership Agility and Levels of Leadership Agility
- Self-development on Leadership Agility
- Growth Mindset
- Cognitive Reappraisal
- Behaviour Loop
- Neuroscience insights for self-leadership
- The art of feedback and self-development
- Engage People
- Understand people
- The Art of Actions – how to make fast and effective decisions
- Engage people in an agile environment – improve trust and collaboration and continuous learning
- Conflicts toxins and team development
- Develop Organizations
- Lead teams and go beyond teams
- Culture, architecture, and structure
- Culture profile analysis and assessment
- Fine tuning to grow healthy organizations
- How to best utilize OKRs at organization level
- Foster a Culture of Continuous Improvement
- Lead continuous improvement in Complex Adaptive System
- Create system change experiments in agile environment (tool plus exercise)
- Lead Transformation
- Patterns of Agile Transformations
- Define next steps to advance yourself and your organization
- Agile leaders’ behaviors (vs traditional leaders’)
- Excel in the Business Environment
- Product excellence and organization strategy
- Excel in the business environment with innovations. The workshop allows participants to gain insights on agile leadership and equipped with concepts, tools and practices for self-improvements and the development of the organization. Upon completion of the workshop, you will be ready to start your journey to become a great Certified Agile Leader (CAL-E, CAL-T and CAL-O)!
CAL participants vary by professional background and work experience. The common thread is their desire to enhance their workplaces (and their customers’ workplaces) with agile values, practices, and metrics. This program is for anyone leading or participating in an agile transformation.
- Agile Team Members/Aspiring Agilists. Everyone on an agile team is a leader — self-directed, self-organizing teams get more meaningful work done. To truly practice agility, learn what agile leaders do differently to prepare their teams to pivot powerfully in this volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous world.
- Managers. One of your challenges may be overcoming internal resistance to organization-wide agility. Certified Agile Leadership gives you practical tools to bolster your growth into an agile practitioner and leader, and helps you nurture yourself and senior management champions to solidify your efforts.
- Organizational Decision Makers & Change Leaders. Put yourself ahead of the agile learning curve and discover the joy of taking an active role in sustainable business agility. The CAL program helps you embrace the agile values, practices, and metrics that drive agile decision making. Take the struggle out of transforming company culture by learning to embody a mindset of transparency, inspection, and adaptation.
- Executives. Finding the time to nurture your own agility and discovering a meaningful role to play in an agile transformation is challenging. You desire to be more than just someone who authorizes hiring a consultant or coach. Certified Agile Leadership certification can quickly accelerate your learning curve and show you the active role you could play in a sustainable agile transformation. You’ll also discover a personal transformation as you learn about your own internal leadership development.
- Coaches/Consultants. Your challenge is to help clients navigate an agile transformation with a focus on the people and mindsets necessary to shift the culture. A CAL certification provides you the tools to help enact change, and distinguishes you in the field as someone who has acquired the defined knowledge of an agile leader.
- The Leader in You … in All of Us. Finding out more about your personal leadership style can enlighten you and help you be more empathetic to everyone you encounter. This program can enhance both your career and your personal life.
Highly Experienced Agile Educators
- To be approved to provide Certified Agile Leadership, each Educator undergoes a rigorous application and vetting process, in which they must provide evidence that demonstrates years of agile leadership experience, proven instructional styles, student-oriented goals, and expertise in business agility.
A Practice-Based Experience
- Certified Agile Leadership modules leverage proven instructional styles and peer-driven workshops to help aspiring agilists like you practice agile theory, leveraging an experience-based approach to help you truly understand business agility.
Join a Supportive Agile Alumni Community
- The Scrum Alliance post-CAL community is here to help you navigate the real-world challenges you face as you become a truly agile leader. Following your certification, you’ll enjoy unlimited access to our community to exchange resources and experiences that help you thrive.
- Attend eight hours of live instruction (per CAL module - Essentials, for Teams, and for Organizations) with your CAL Educator and successfully complete the associated learning objectives.
- After completing a module, you must accept the License Agreement to receive your certification.
- Maintain your CAL certification by earning Scrum Education Units® (SEUs) and renewing your certification every two years. Learn more.
Our CAL course registration payment includes the following:
- The two-day (14-16 hour) training course with Evelyn Tian
- Training materials such as workbooks, presentations, and/or online resources as provided by your trainer.
- CAL certification
- Scrum Alliance CAL-E, CAL-T and CAL-O certifications.
- 24 PDUs and/or SEUs that can be used to renew PMP and SA membership respectively
I am very happy to have started my Agile journey with Evelyn's courses. I am very happy and thankful for understanding of changing of management styles, the importance of context. CAS- complex adaptive system is amazing - zoom in/out exercises, understanding of that team has a personality as well. An Iceberg Jon Kotter model and this wonderful Behavior function - how our behavior depends on personality and environment. Maintaining a skeptical outlook is important because it helps leaders to remain objective impact.
The tools will help me to asses the current situation gave me the tools to experiment I have never been so engaged in online workshop before, Evelyn knows how to keep the energy levels up throughout the workshop!
A great class, taking you on a very interesting helicopter tour of the world of leadership. Introduces you to some incredibly useful concepts, sign-posting where you can obtain further detail if the subject interests you. Lots of opportunity to discuss in small groups to share interpretations and thoughts on what you are learning. Excellent use of remote tools means literally no sacrifice of not having the in-class experience. Highly recommended to those wishing to understand leadership more.
This course has given me new tools to test and experiment with as I grow as a leader and also as I get more familiar with coaching executives or senior members of my organization. It has left me feeling more confident in my abilities and the approach I can take. Evelyn is a fantastic coach! She brings so much energy and passion to her workshops and trainings. Evelyn is great at introducing a concept and breaking it down into tangible examples to better understand how things can be implemented in practice. Always look forward to connecting with her and I know her classes will be informative and fun!
Evelyn Tian is a coach, trainer and a keynote speaker of international conferences. Today her passion and dedication to teaching scrum has landed her a place on the board of Scrum Alliance Organisation.
She has close to 30 years of product development experience in telecom products, automotive industry, financial sectors and e-commerce products, with vast experience from product management, project management, system architect, software development, system integration and installation, and customer support. She can easily move between high-level strategic management discussions and detailed discussions on software craftsmanship.
Evelyn’s primary areas of interests include fostering a culture of software craftsmanship and helping organizations continuously improve through lean and agile. Tian believes that lean and agile enhance the way software is developed, products are implemented, and services are fulfilled.
Evelyn has built a lengthy track record and gathered deep insights in coaching organization transformation, agile leadership, product excellence and teams to unleash their potential. She previously was the Lean and Agile Head Coach of Ericsson, supporting the telecom giant's transformation initiatives.
With backgrounds in both electrical engineering and computer science, she has furthered her education in EMBA, psychology, and professional coaching as well. Evelyn is widely involved in the following external communities:
• Advisory Board Member of IEEE Software;
• speaks at and chairs conferences on Lean, Agile and product development;
• teaches at universities on Software Engineering;
• publishes and translates books and papers on Agile, Scrum, and Change Management;
2017 - Present Evelyn Konsult AB (Coach and Trainer)
2015 – 2017 Ericsson Communications (Head of Global Transformation Support Center)
2009 – 2017 Ericsson Communications (Lean and Agile Head Coach)
1996 – 2009 Ericsson Communications (Various roles from integrator, designer, system architect, project lead, and product manager)
Evelyn’s certifications with Scrum Alliance: