Professional Scrum Product Owner Advanced™ (PSPO-A)
Professional Scrum Product Owner Advanced™ (PSPO-A) course
Professional Scrum Product Owner™ - Advanced (PSPO-A) is a hands-on, activity-based course that focuses on helping experienced Product Owners and Product Managers expand their ability to establish a vision, validate their hypotheses, and ultimately deliver more value to their stakeholders. The course goes beyond the topics explored in the Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO) class by deepening the attendee's understanding of the role through the exploration of the many stances of a professional Product Owner.
Students should have at least one year of Product Owner experience and a practical knowledge of Scrum in order to participate in and benefit from these exercises. Having previously taken the PSPO class is recommended, but not required.
The course also includes a free attempt at the globally recognized Professional Scrum Product Owner II (PSPO II) certification exam.
Language: The training will be held in English
Trainer: Your trainer will be the internationally renowned Scrum trainer John Coleman (see below for bio)
Price: If you buy from outside Estonia, VAT is not applicable. The correct price is shown on this page and the last step of checkout.
Scrum is the most widely adopted framework for Agile development. It is a lightweight yet incredibly powerful set of values, principles, and practices to successfully deliver complex, innovative products and services that truly delight customers. Though scrum began as a way to develop software, it is currently used in a variety of industries across the globe.
Scrum relies on cross-functional teams to deliver products and services in short cycles, enabling:
- Fast feedback
- Quicker innovation
- Continuous improvement
- Rapid adaptation to change
- More delighted customers
- Accelerated pace from idea to delivery
- Understanding your products
- Who are your customers?
- Connecting product features to customer outcomes
- Communicating the product vision and strategy
- Value and pricing models
- Innovation and experimentation
- Stakeholders and stakeholder management
- Agile governance, budgeting, and contracting in relation to Scrum
The Professional Product Owner-Advanced course is specifically designed for Product Owners and product managers with practical experience managing or owning a product.
It is also beneficial to Scrum Masters and stakeholders who work with Product Owners. It is particularly beneficial for those with at least one year of building products with a Scrum Team.
In this two day class students will gain a better understanding of what it means to deliver value and how to express that value inside and outside of their organization. Through a case study-based series of exercises, combined with instruction, students gain the entrepreneurial product leadership skills and practices critical to growing as a successful Product Owner.
The Product Owner role is multifaceted, requiring them to engage in behaviors and adopt mindsets beyond the core of Agility and the Scrum framework. Students explore these techniques and how to pivot among them by exploring several Product Owner "stances" including:
- The Customer Representative:
- Focus on understanding customer problems, pains and opportunities
- Get into the mindset of the customer, placing yourself in their world, understanding their needs
- Deliver value by connecting product features to customer outcomes
- The Visionary:
- Champion the future state, possibilities, goals and chances
- Communicate the product vision, strategy and Product Goal
- Understand value and pricing models
- The Experimenter:
- Focus on innovation through experiments, hypotheses, tests, learnings, data and validation of value
- Understand the Product Owner’s role in a scaled environment
- The Decision Maker:
- Focus on making better decisions
- Navigate conflicting customer feedback
- The Collaborator:
- Seek collaboration with stakeholders and the Scrum Team
- Work beyond the Scrum Team including contracts, finance, budgeting and governance in an agile way
- The Influencer:
- Lead the stakeholders, customers and Scrum Team, to move in the right direction and to change their minds, when necessary
- Learn how to create a stakeholder management strategy
All participants completing the Professional Scrum Product Owner - Advanced course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum Product Owner II (PSPO II) assessment. The industry-recognized PSPO II certification requires a minimum passing score of 85%. PSPO-A class participants who attempt the PSPO II assessment within 14 days of receiving their free password and do not score at least 85% will be granted a second attempt at no additional cost.
You are also entitled to a discount on the PSPO III assessment.
Professional Scrum Product Owner Advanced™ certification
When taking PSPO II, you should have experience as a Product Owner and a strong understanding of the fundamentals of Scrum. While attendance is not a prerequisite, attending a Professional Scrum Product Owner - Advanced class is highly recommended.
- Understanding and Applying the Scrum Framework:
- Empiricism, Scrum Values, Scrum Team, Events, Artifacts, Scaling
- Managing Products with Agility:
- Forecasting & Release Planning, Product Vision, Product Value, Product Backlog Management, Business Strategy, Stakeholders & Customers
- Evolving the Agile Organization:
- Organizational Design & Culture, Portfolio Planning, Evidence Based Management
- Organizational Design & Culture, Portfolio Planning, Evidence Based Management
PSPO II tests your knowledge of Scrum, Product Ownership, delivering value and how you would handle real-world situations.
PSPO II includes questions from the following Focus Areas as defined in the Professional Scrum Competencies. The greatest emphasis is on Managing Products with Agility followed by Evolving the Agile Organization.
Your PSPO-A course registration payment includes the following:
- 2 days of high-quality instruction from a Scrum.org Trainer and Agile expert with over 20 years’ training and consulting experience
- Course materials handbook (PDF)
- Access to electronic copies of other reference documentation
- Recognition by the Scrum.org as a Professional Scrum Product Owner Advanced after passing the exam
- Password to take the PSPO-A assessment and 2nd Attempt is included if taken within 14 days of the course
John provided a challenging and interesting class, showing great flexibility and posing challenging ideas and concepts.
It helped me clear some preconceptions about the stances and complimentary practices.
His availability to the participants surprised me very positively, as well as the great environment created during the class.
Excellent training. John and Ben were super helpful and knowledgeable on all the topics with clear answers and real life examplse.
John Coleman, founder of Orderly Disruption, Thinkers360 top 10 agility thought leader, Scrum.org Professional Scrum Trainer, co-author of Kanban Guide and Prokanban.org Professional Kanban Trainer, LeSS Friendly Scrum Trainer, founder and host of Xagility™️ and Daily Flow podcasts.
Review & Ratings for John Coleman of Orderly Disruption on Google, VocalReferences & Trustpilot
Reviews & Ratings for all of John Coleman's workshops are available on:
It's not just about Reviews & Ratings
Reviews & ratings are limited by nature. John needs to understand if the learning made a real difference back in the office. So, John checks in up to 12-18 months later. He sees a pattern of improvement and regularly gets pleasant vibes from successful agility inspired by ideas on the workshops. For example, see this experience report.
John Coleman is a Professional Scrum Trainer, a candidate LeSS trainer / LeSS Friendly Scrum Trainer, organizer of ELNA (Executive Leadership Network for Adaptiveness), co-author of Kanban Guide, and author of Kanban for Complexity™ aka Kanplexity™ with lots of attribution to Dave Snowden & Cognitive Edge for Cynefin and related theory. See https://kanbanguides.org.
John did one of the most comprehensive comparisons/contrast of the scaling/descaling frameworks at https://valueglide.com/blog and https://orderlydisruption.com/blogs/grow-agility-for-your-why/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-preamble-to-1-of-4 ("Mirror Mirror" series). John Coleman's blog posts on executives, Scrum, Kanban, Nexus Vs. LeSS, are available at https://bit.ly/JohnColemanBlog. John blogs prolifically at orderlydisruption.com, valueglide.com, Medium, CIO Water Cooler, and The Digital Transformation People.
Practicing what he preaches, except he doesn't preach -- he doesn't sell, huh?
John helps teams, managers, leaders, change agents, and execs. He can answer all sorts of up to date questions with ease. John coaches, teaches, consults for sustainable growth of agility in non-software as well as software. He created Broad and Deep agility (BaDa) on top of the shoulders of existing theory & practice. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUen2CeyTDk. John himself is broad & deep from the points of view of agility, people & change.
Standing on the shoulders of giants
John is a systems thinker who happens to be a huge fan of Cynefin and sees the benefits of both, erring on the side of Cynefin where they clash. Most importantly, John takes an independent view. John is also a people & change thinker; he uses Spiral Dynamics Integral (certified to level 2) and other models; even if they are criticized in some quarters as pseudoscience, John finds aspects of Spiral Dynamics helpful in structuring better conversations with people.
More proof he knows what he's talking about, and has done what he talks about
John's Scrum+Kanban Nexus+ case studies can be found (international payments company, European bank) at https://www.valueglide.com/blog/nexus-nexus-and-scrum.org-certifications.
John is grateful to be part of Marshall Goldsmith's #payitforward campaign and, in so doing, offers free coaching/mentoring/co-training to a selection of potential agility chefs. John is a member of the #MarshallGoldsmithLead60 group, a cohort from the 16,000+ #MarshallGoldsmith100CoachesApplicants. It was a privilege for John to be one of a lucky group of 60 people; Marshall Goldsmith himself taught that group in Salt Lake City in February 2018. All of John's workshops #payitforward Marshall Goldsmith content, including Marshall's advice to John himself.
John typically practiced with many of his clients for 18+ months. He is switching to shorter-term engagements. John's client list (directly or indirectly) includes Japanese Tobacco International, Shell, Barclaycard, Vocalink Mastercard, Centrica / British Gas, the Musgrave Group, RR Donnelley, DELL, Nordic Aviation Services, 84.51, Intralinks, PaySafe, Vodafone, Ericsson, NASA, Sky and BP.